Sunday, January 8, 2023

Running with a Dog

Before we start, know a couple of things. I've run with a dog. One. She, Coya, is pretty awesome but hardly represents all dogs. And secondly, this post is not is not intended to be a "you should" diatribe. I can't stand those. Instead, it's simply a record of my experience from which you - and your dog! - might benefit.

Before I get started, why might you want to run with a dog in the first place? Here are a couple of reasons I've come up with:

  1. If you have a dog that occasionally gets the zoomies, a run is a great way to spend that pent up energy.
  2. Running together will, in my experience, create a tighter bond between you and your pup.
  3. Running with a dog can provide additional security. I have to think this would be a huge benefit to females, who unfortunately have to contend with hazards most men don't. Small dogs can bark enough to deter predators, while larger ones can present physical obstacles.
  4. You'll never need to clip your dog's nails!

With all that said, here are some of my thoughts and tips.

1. Best breed. At least annually you'll see various publications put out their list of "best dogs to run with." Not one of them will include mutts, which is a shame for many reasons. You may be missing out if you don't consider a mixed breed. Coya is a smattering of Siberian husky, American Staffordshire terrier, Pitbull terrier, and a few other breeds, and she's a great runner that effortlessly goes with me on 5 milers.

I know I said this isn't a "you should" post, but  allow me to briefly stray and say you should check with your local shelters and rescues when searching for a dog! If you happen to be in middle Tennessee I highly recommend RARE, the Rural Animal Rescue Effort, Of course, this is where we got Coya, and we've had the best experience with Trisha, Lois, and the rest of their team. They truly care about what they're doing and to this day we keep in contact and board Coya with them when going out of town.

2. Walk before you run. I see a lot of people out running with their dogs that mean well but are painful to watch. If your dog is pulling on that leash or doesn't align with you, you risk either tripping and falling or getting hit by a car. At a minimum, I believe a dog should first be loose-leash or off-leash trained and controllable on a walk. Yes, this is a lot of work, but well worth it in the end. We've had the good fortune to work with Matt at Allegiant Canine, who's provided the training and guidance that readied Coya for the run.

3. Equipment. Here are a couple of things that have worked well for me and Coya after some trial and error. First, when running she's wearing a Sprenger prong collar. Some may consider this harsh, but it's ideal because it alerts her to the slightest change of direction without having to pull one bit. And if we encounter a dangerous situation - teenage drivers, anyone? - pulling on it lets her know immediately what I need her to do.

I do not recommend a fixed-length leash or one of those gimmicky "hands free" leashes that you wrap around your waist. I've tried both and after bumping into each other a couple times decided to give a retractable one a shot. This Tug tangle-free version has been ideal. In its unlocked position, which is the case 99.9% of the time, it allows me to swing my arms without pulling on her neck. I also can motion it slightly left or right to inform her where to to go. This setup allows Coya to comfortably lead out a few feet in front of me and I only have to lock it taut when absolutely necessary.

The last thing Coya wears is this reflective vest whenever we run around dawn. Enough said.

4. Navigating the run. This might sound odd, but whenever possible I avoid running with Coya on sidewalks. We run on the left side of the road with her up and to my left a bit. Sidewalks I find to be bad for me (too many variations and obstacles), and running on the road prevents Coya from getting on the wrong side of a mailbox, trash can, or light post. No tangling!

Intersections. This is a hotly debated topic among runners in general. I think it's best to have a plan for intersections and stick to it. Mine is that when I approach an intersection with cars I physically turn my back to them. This tells the drivers I have no intention of walking out in front of them and eliminates indecision for everyone.

Finally, when introducing your pup to running I suggest starting out with short distances and running the same route every time. Even better, begin by running the same route you might walk them on. Familiarity and routine can help reduce confusion, and incrementally increasing distance can help you figure out what's enough vs what's too much.

5. Miscellaneous. This is sort of a catch all category of other things to consider.

  • Does your dog actually want to run? When Coya and I first started out she was eager to always run. But now every once in a while she'll either avert her eyes or curl up in her bed when I'm getting ready to head out. On those days I'll hand her off to mom for a more leisurely walk.

  • Do you actually want to run with your dog? The answer doesn't have to always be yes. Keep in mind it's ok to want to run just for yourself.

  • Allow your dog to be a dog. Running past a creek? They may want to take a dip! And they're definitely going to want to stop and take care of business somewhere along the way. Pay attention to their needs and always bring along a poop bag!
Now, get out there and have some fun! No doubt this will be one of those posts I add to over time. If you have other observations or suggestions, please leave them in the comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment